...to a discussion of the controversial and emotional subject of worship. I have strong opinions about worship as do many others. Judging by the number of lines drawn in the political, religious, and scientific sand lately it appears that civil and cordial discussions on most subjects are rare. I propose that the opinions on this blog will be expressed in the loving, kind, and thoughtful manner that Jesus himself used when teaching. Of course, since I have considerable control over who and what gets posted, I guess I'm also drawing a sandy line. So, I'm addicted to hypocrisy! Beware!
The blog's title was chosen because the double meaning of "entertaining" suggests that not only was worship in general to be the central subject but that a particular genre of worship would be examined closely.
People who care about worship are passionate about worship. And when people are passionate they argue and fight and aggressively assert their positions. I expect this blog to get lively. But I also am going to bet that the ideas and concepts and insights that are presented will be a catalyst for some, revelation to others, and inspiration to even more.
I'll be inviting friends with whom I've already had discussions, laypersons who have expressed carefully considered opinions, and professionals in church music to contribute their positions and respond to the contributions of others.
My overall goal for the blog is not necessarily to vent frustration over the trends seen in many worship services in today's Christian churches but to "compare and contrast" what is going on, encourage a development of language to discuss worship, and disseminate research results. I would also hope that contributors to the blog will share the riches of their observations and discoveries with our community. I want links to websites and articles, books and sermons, conferences and organizations.
It strikes me as somewhat egotistical to think that others might have the slightest interest in what I have to say. But my friends have insisted that they shouldn't be the only ones to suffer. So let the discussions begin....
Are worship and evangelism mutually exclusive? What is worship? What is evangelism? Can they work together?
What is driving the revolution in worship? Desparation in the face of declining church attendance? Response to the "Great Commission"? Consummerism (Have It Your Way)?
Is theology dead? Is it important? If the hymns are gone where will one find theology in worship? Have you observed, as I have, the commercialization of worship music?
What role does the choir play in traditional worship? Is anything lost when they are no longer used in worship? Same with the organ accompaniment?
What was the focus or central theme of traditional worship? Of contemporary worship as you define it?
These questions are definitely not exhaustive. I'm banking that there will be many more. So, let the discussions begin!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I will start with only one of the many questions you asked - what is driving worship. Here are my initial thoughts on this great question.... Mostly the wrong things seem to be driving worship. I think it depends on the venue in order to give an informed response to the question. I will offer a few suggestions.
In many historic denominational churches worship is primarily driven by tradition... their tradition, not the tradition of the Ancient church, nor the tradition of the reformers, but being so stuck in their only know way of doing things. In many contemporary-styled churces (both independent and denominational churches) the highest value is pragmatism. If it works (brings in the big numbers or big money) then it is where we go. If it does not produce the sought-after results it is jettesoned without hesitation. In many cases it is narcissistic worship that attracts - give people what they want and they will come back, and vote with their checkbooks. Give them what they DON'T want and they also vote with their feet and absence of checkbooks. I submit that both of these driving forces are not the right issues. They can even become so "sacred" that perhaps these forms of worship can become idols, which actually destroy the very experence that we seek.
What is woefully absent is any real theology of worship, knowledge of the history of worship, and most of all no experience in worship that celebrates the mighty deeds of God working within his creation. Narcissistic worship can really sound great and sells well. It can talke about us following the example of Jesus, living a sacrifical life, being a good steward, a disciple of Jesus and lots of other great-sounding verbage. What is not required is to take my own self out of the center of my life and experience our Triune God living there. Even when we talk of the Trinity, we often are living in total denial of His reality. Many function as their own priests directly to our Heaveny Father, bypassing the life and purpose of Jesus. Some churches focus on Jesus and me and don't reverence the majesty of the Father. Others talk only on the Holy Spirit and pray to Him and Him alone. None of these "good" conservative churches would every deny the Trinity, they just move ahead in a totally Unitarian way.
This implicit unitarianism is quite common in many of our churhes today. Again, much of this is perpetuated through a terrible ignorance of what the first century Christians were really like. I don't think any of the martyrs of the first few centuries would have died for much of what we see as "non-negotiable" in many of our worship theaters.
My prescription would, indeed, be a connection our past - long-ago past as Christians and strive to unmask the revisionist impact of both modernity and postmodernity. Any serious attempt to address these issues will go to the core of many of our practices. For a great iniital primmer read "Ancient Future Faith" by Robert E. Webber. Read some of the lives of early church leaders - Polycarp, Ireneus and others.
Worship was never our congulations to God of how wonderful and great his is. It is living with the realty that we are made right with God only through the way and means that he has provided, through Jesus Christ. It is not our head knowledge of congitive recitation of truth that makes us Christians, rather our heart being left open to him at the very center. Authentic Christian spirituality is a process in each of us not an event.
I welcome comments from all. Thanks for the soap box. I will step down for now.
Thanks, Larry. You've obviously been reading and thinking--dangerous activities that lead to enlightenment. Be careful! You might actually be held accountable. Hallelujah!
Take up some more questions. I can learn from you.
Post a Comment