Sunday, July 15, 2007

Influences

I recieved an email from a professional musician and lover of worship. It reads as follows:

--My ideas of worship were/are heavily influenced by Marva Dawn’s writing, particularly “Reaching Out Without Dumbing Down”, PAM [Presbyterian Association of Musicians] leaders from the now-defunct Albuquerque conference, and Harold Daniels (prime mover for the Presbyterian Book of Common Worship.) Other musicians and theologians have also caused me to think, sometimes in radical ways, about worship: Tom Troeger, David Davidson, Hal and Martha Hobson, Fred Craddock, Karmen Van Dyke, Fr. Mike Harter, etc. There was also a speaker (whose name I can’t remember) at an Indian Nations Presbytery conference who startled me by saying that perhaps it’s time for the Presbyterian denomination to “die out”, since we refuse to evangelize in ways that are distinct from worship on the Lord’s Day. I suppose I’m a proponent of “blended” worship, but that really doesn’t say much about what I believe to be a definition and practice of “reformed” worship.--

There are some great resources mentioned here, particularly Marva Dawn, who has written extensively about worship and the believer. The folks listed are all excelent thinkers who have contributed much to the conversation of theological worship.

No comments: