The church of my youth was Southern Baptist (Oklahoma style). Although some of the chracteristics of that ernest denomination still influence my spiritual attitudes, by the time I had finished my education in music, I no longer "fit" the evangelical worship model. I found the Presbyterians, while rather cool toward evangelism as I had known it, had a more somber, focused, and respectful worship. Their worship service seemed to focus more on a loving and forgiving God and spent their energies on excellence in worship using the best music, presented in carefully prepared ways. Art in language and rituals of our ancesters formed a worship service that rejected the shallowness of popular culture and provided sanctuary from the chaotic world of commence and competition. I had found a church home.
Alas, some Presbyterian churches have decided that their "best" was not doing the trick for membership. They are embracing the "success" of Williow Creek and Saddleback. Worship has been snatched from the arms of tradition and handed over to the marketers. My frustration with this turn of events has given rise to this blog. Are there others who feel likewise? Who am I kidding?! Of course there are...!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment